1.18.2009

CES

Quick update...

So, I wasn't fortunate enough to attend CES this year....however, I was able to see some live feeds, other blogs, and news coverage over it. One thing I would like to quickly comment on - and I wish I had a picture but I don't...

So robots are the wave of the future, right? Artificial intelligence, the movie iRobot, etc etc. The biggest fear, and rightfully so I believe, is that the robots may turn on us. I write software for a living and I know first hand, sometimes the computer and the code your wrote just doesn't quite run how it should, or it has a mind of its own. A simple software issue I wrote is no where near as complex as AI or robot technology, but sometimes things happen. Anyway, during the coverage for CES there was a robot there that had no arms. Instead, it was like a triangle with very broad shoulders and the triangle shape down to its waist. I am not Mr. Industrial Designer, but I thought that design was perfect solution to the problem.

This robot served a different function - nothing of which had to do with having extremeties - so to solve that issue, they just took the arms away. No more fear that the robot would be able to attack or detain you. I'll see if I can ever find a picture again - but it was a cool solution and a cool idea.

Update - found it

No comments:

Post a Comment